Cheesy and garlicky comfort dish with a healthy twist.
This dish is just what you need to fill you up and not feel guilty. Using my Cheesy Sauce, potatoes, and broccoli as well as some other simple ingredients, this is pretty simple to put together.
Prior to becoming vegan, I had the pleasure of enjoying my girlfriend’s hashbrown casserole. I certainly missed the idea of it and I am not sure why it took me so long to make my own type of hashbrown casserole. Then one day I came across a recipe by Minimalist Baker and I adapted it.
After making the Cheesy Sauce ahead of time, this is is quick to prep for baking.
The fastest way to grate the potatoes is using a food processor with the grating attachment. If you don’t have one, you can use a box grater with medium-sized holes. Once all done, I added my potatoes to a nut milk bag to squeeze out any extra liquid. I squeezed out about 2 tablespoons (once the foam settled down). Cheesecloth or even a dishtowel can be used. Squeezing out the excess liquid will prevent the potatoes from getting soggy.
Even though the sauce includes nutritional yeast, adding more to this dish enhances the cheesy flavours. Increasing the amount of garlic, black pepper and salt boost flavours as well. Any of this can be adjusted to achieve the perfect flavour for you.
Mix the Cheesy Sauce with cashew milk and water to help thin it out, making it much easier to pour and mix. It is will thicken up again while being baked. Another dairy-free milk will work as long as it is unsweetened.
Bake until golden brown with some crispy edges. Great served as a side dish for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
Broccoli Hashbrown Casserole
- Make this first, follow the link for the recipe -> Cheesy Sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Grease baking dish –
- Use a food processor with grating attachment to grate the poatoes. Alternatively, you can use a manual grater.
- Add potatoes to a nut milk bag or cheese cloth and squeeze out the liquid.
- Add chopped broccoli and the grated potatoes to the baking dish and sprinkle with garlic, nutritional yeast, black pepper and salt.
- Melt Cheesy Sauce in a small pot on low (if it has been stored in the fridge).
- Mix in cashew milk and water. Whisk to combine.
- Pour mixture over broccoli and potato blend and mix to combine. Once mixed, use the back of your spatula or spoon to press down.
- Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Keep an eye on it and remove once golden brown.
- If you want your dish to be cheesier, add more nutritional yeast, if you want it saltier, add more salt, and if you want it more garlicky, add more garlic!
- Best reheated in the oven at 350°F.
Did you make this recipe?
Comment below and share it on social media.
Don’t forget to tag me!