Thick and tangy vegan sour cream that is a perfect replacement for the dairy version.
This simple 6 ingredient sour cream has become our staple for Taco Tuesdays. The cashews create a creamy texture, the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar create the tang, and nutritional yeast gives it a dairy-like flavour. I love using it in my Crunchwrap Supreme. You could use it on a Fries Supreme, or on a Loaded Baked Potato, or on the side with Perogies.
You could opt-out of using nutritional yeast in this recipe if you don’t have any, but I do recommend it for a bit more flavour. If you really don’t like apple cider vinegar, you can substitute it with distilled white vinegar. The salt can be omitted as well if you want it to have a bit of a sweeter taste, or if you want to simply reduce your salt intake.
I find that soaking cashews allows for a smoother texture. I prefer to soak them for about 4 hours but anything between 2-4 hours should work. If I need them sooner, I place the cashews in a bowl and cover them in a few inches of boiling water for 30 minutes. You can certainly let them be for 15 minutes if you want to shorten the time even more. Soaking your cashews activates their enzymes, making them easier for your body to digest. Don’t oversoak them as they can start to taste a bit off, and they will start to break down their health-promoting oils.
Using a high-speed blender will give you the best results. I use a Vitamix and use my tamper to help push everything around to blend nicely. There have been times where I’ve had to add a bit more water to achieve the right consistency. Don’t be afraid to adjust it little by little to your liking. When I started making this, I was using 2 tablespoons each of lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. This definitely gives it the tangy taste. Apple cider is not my favourite, so I found reducing it to 1 1/2 tablespoons was nicer for my taste buds. Experiment a little when making your own to find what works for you.
Vegan Sour Cream
- high speed blender (I use a Vitamix)
- 1 ½ cups cashews, soaked
- ¾ cup water
- 1 ½ tbsp lemon juice
- 1 ½ tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- You can do this different ways. Add cashews to a bowl, cover with a few inches of room temperature water, and let sit for 4-6 hours on the counter. Another quick way is to add boiling water to the bowl instead, and let it sit for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse when done.
Vegan Sour Cream
- Add all ingredients to your high speed blender and blend until velvety smooth (about 2 minutes).
- I found that the brand of cashews can vary the amount of water I needed, as well as how long I soaked them. If it is too thick, add another 2 tbsp at a time and blend again until desired consistency.
- If you want a bit more tang, add an extra 1/2 tbsp each of lemon and apple cider vinegar.
- Good in the fridge for 7-10 days.
- Freezer friendly.
Did you make this recipe?
Comment below and share it on social media.
Don’t forget to tag me!